FOR HOUSTON’S FLOOD VICTIMS, ONTRACK OFFERS ADVICE, DISCOUNTS ON DATA RECOVERY SERVICES
MINNEAPOLIS - June 12, 2001 - Recent flooding in Houston has caused damage to many businesses' hard drives and servers, resulting in the apparent loss of valuable data. While the impurities found in water can be lethal to computer storage media, much data thought to be unrecoverable can indeed be salvaged once the media goes through professional servicing. ONTRACK Data International, Inc. (NASDAQ: ONDI), is offering both advice and service discounts from 20 to 40 percent on its data recovery services to any businesses at risk of losing data due to the floods in Houston.
Ontrack recommends that companies fearing loss of their vital information review the following tips before assuming that the damage is permanent:
- Never assume that data is unrecoverable, no matter what it has been through;
- Send the storage media to a professional data recovery facility as soon as possible;
- Do not shake or disassemble any hard drive or server;
- Never attempt to dry water-damaged media by opening it or exposing it to heat - such as that from a hair-dryer;
- Do not attempt to freeze-dry media;
- Do not attempt to operate visibly damaged devices (the WORST thing to do is wait for the media to dry out and then attempt to operate it on your own);
- Do not clean the media yourself. Instead, ship the damaged storage media to a data recovery lab before completely drying out; and
- Do not use common software utility programs on broken or water-damaged devices.
"In most cases, data recovery is possible", said Greg Olson, director of data recovery for Ontrack. "Get damaged data storage media into the hands of professionals as soon as possible, and remember not to panic. Ontrack's technology allows us to recapture data - including financial records, business plans, presentations, etc. - that has been corrupted or seemingly destroyed due to water damage."
Houston residents interested in Ontrack's advice and service discounts should contact Ontrack via their Web site at http://www.ontrack.com or by calling 800-872-2599.
Ontrack, a leading provider of data availability software and service solutions, helps customers protect, manage, recover and discover their valuable data. Using its hundreds of proprietary tools and techniques, Ontrack is able to recover lost or corrupted data from virtually all operating systems and types of storage devices through its do-it-yourself, remote and in-lab capabilities. Ontrack also offers award-winning PC utility software programs and services to help prevent critical data loss through a broad line of problem-solving, file-management and productivity utilities. Ontrack can be reached through its World Wide Web site at http://www.ontrack.com or by calling 800-872-2599. In addition to its Minneapolis headquarters, Ontrack operates locations in Los Angeles, Boulder, Colo., Washington D.C., New York, London, Paris and Stuttgart, Germany. Ontrack also makes its data recovery services available in Tokyo through its strategic alliance with Y-E Data, a company with over 25 years of experience in storage devices.