ONTRACK DATA RECOVERY™ PROVIDES CRITICAL TIPS FOR SUCCESSFUL SERVER RECOVERIES
Learn How to Prevent Further Damage When Company’s Server Goes Down
“With our nearly 20 years of experience, Ontrack’s engineers have seen many data loss situations ranging from ordinary to unique, and server recoveries are becoming more common than ever,” said
Since data disasters will happen, here is a list of suggestions for IT executives and administrators that will increase chances for successful recovery:
- Use a volume defragmenter regularly – a defragmenter moves the pieces of each file or folder to one location on the volume, so that each occupies a single, contiguous space on the disk drive. This helps improve the quality of recovery, making files and folders easier for data recovery specialists to locate. Do not run defragmenter utilities on suspected bad drives – if drives are bad, this could have damaging effects.
- Perform a valid backup before making hardware or software changes.
- If a drive is making unusual mechanical noises, turn it off immediately and get assistance from your data recovery company.
- Before removing drives, label the drives with their original position and RAID array.
- Never restore data to the server that has lost the data – always restore to a separate server or alternate location.
- In Microsoft Exchange or SQL failures, never try to repair the original Information Store or database files – make a copy and perform recovery operations on the copy.
- When replacing drives on RAID systems, never replace a failed drive with a drive that was part of a previous RAID system – always zero out the replacement drive before using.
- In a power loss situation with a RAID array, if the file system looks suspicious, is unmountable or the data is inaccessible after power is restored, do not run volume repair utilities. Do not run volume repair utilities on suspected bad drives.
From legacy systems, desktops and servers to the latest high-end network storage, Ontrack Data Recovery has experience with all types of systems. When a server goes down, it is smart to consider multiple recovery efforts at the same time. The key to success is to get Ontrack involved as soon as possible.
About Ontrack Data Recovery
Ontrack Data Recovery™ (www.ontrack.com) is the largest, most experienced and technologically advanced provider of data recovery products and services worldwide. Ontrack is able to recover lost or corrupted data from all operating systems and types of storage devices through its do-it-yourself, remote and in-lab capabilities, using its hundreds of proprietary tools and techniques. Ontrack Data Recovery is a brand name of Kroll Ontrack Inc., which operates as the Technology Services Group of Kroll Inc. (NASDAQ: KROL).